A warm-up period of 10 minutes of low to medium intensity is of vital importance and should never be skipped. This raises the heart rate gradually and warms the muscles up to prevent injury.
Examples of warm-up at home:
- Walk on the spot for 10 minutes whilst watching your favourite soapy
- Take your dog for a 10 to 15 minute walk – he’s been pleading for it anyway
- Skip rope for a few minutes (who can survive skipping for longer than that anyway) and combine it with stepping up and down a step for a few minutes
- Sit down and stand up from a chair for a few minutes
- Ride your bike (real or stationary) for 10 minutes
- Walk fast on one place in the pool for 10 minutes
- Walk fast on a treadmill for 10 minutes
- Walk slowly up and down a few steps for 10 minutes
- Rake leaves and mow the lawn
As you can see, the opportunities for warming up for exercise are limitless. All you need is a little bit of imagination. Who knows, it could even be fun.